SOMERSET, N.J. – The Ukrainian National Credit Union Association (UNCUA) held its 35th fall conference and annual meeting September 30-October 1, in Somerset, N.J.
The conference was hosted by the Ukrainian National Federal Credit Union, commemorating its 50th anniversary of service to the Ukrainian American community in 2016.
Thirty-five participants representing 11 Ukrainian American credit unions gathered to hear presentations on current topics of interest to credit union leaders and to elect a new board of directors.
The conference commenced Friday morning, September 30, with welcoming remarks by UNCUA Chair Wasyl Kornylo and Ukrainian National FCU Chair Esteban Kaczurak. Presentations on regulatory and legislative updates followed. That evening, delegates enjoyed a reception sponsored by Ukrainian National FCU.
On Saturday, October 1, the association conducted its annual meeting, which included reports by management and various committees. The election of board members for the 2016-2017 term was also approved.
UNCUA Chairman Kornylo reported on the activities of the association for the past year, as well as the current status of Ukrainian American credit unions. As of June 30, assets of the 13 UNCUA member credit unions totaled $3.072 billion – $96 million more than as of December 31, 2015. Member deposits totaled $2.598 billion – $86 million more than at year-end. Credit union membership grew to 100,871 individuals.
The 2016 credit union calendar was dedicated to Ukrainian soldiers, volunteers and their families. A total of 28,000 calendars were distributed to credit union members, as reported by UNCUA President Orysia Burdiak.
On Saturday evening, the Ukrainian National FCU hosted its 50th anniversary banquet and dance at the Ukrainian National Cultural Center in Somerset with a near capacity crowd. UNCUA Chair Kornylo and President Burdiak presented Mr. Kaczurak with a plaque of recognition from the association commemorating the Ukrainian National FCU’s 50 years of service and dedication to the Ukrainian American community.
While initially serving the New York area, Ukrainian National eventually opened branches in Brooklyn, and in South Bound Brook and Perth Amboy, N.J.
The following individuals were elected to the 2016-2017 UNCUA board of directors and committees:
• UNCUA Officers: Mr. Kornylo – chair (Ukrainian FCU, Rochester, N.Y.), Bohdan Watral – vice-chair (Selfreliance, Chicago), George Stachiw – secretary (Selfreliance New England); Executive Committee members: Stephen Kerda (Selfreliance Baltimore), Mary Kolodij (Selfreliance, Philadelphia), Roman Kozicky (SUMA Yonkers) and Bohdan Kurczak (Self Reliance New York).
• Members of the board of directors: Bohdan Czepak (Cleveland Selfreliance), Andrew Jakymowych (Future CU, Warren, Mich.), Mr. Kaczurak (Ukrainian National, New York), Michael Lewko (NOVA UA, Clifton, N.J.), Natalie Maruszczak (Selfreliance Michigan) and Eugene Szestak (Selfreliance, Pittsburgh).
• Supervisory Committee: Andrew Jakymowych (Future CU); Orest Temnycky (Self Reliance New York) and Bohdan Wruskyj (Selfreliance, Chicago).
• Nominating Committee: Jaroslaw Fedun (NOVA UA); Andrew Horbachevsky (SUMA Yonkers); and George Stachiw (Selfreliance New England).
• By-Laws Committee: Ms. Kolodij (Selfreliance, Philadelphia); Michael Kos (Selfreliance, Chicago) and Mr. Kozicky (SUMA Yonkers).
• Loan Protection and Life Savings Insurance Trustees: Ms. Burdiak, Mr. Kaczurak, Mr. Kerda, Ms. Kolodij, Mr. Kurczak, Ihor Laszok, and John Olijarczyk.
Ms. Burdiak was elected president of the association and the Ukrainian Cooperative Insurance Agency in Chicago. UNCUA staff members are Christine Pylypowycz and Nina Bebko.
Ms. Kolodij, representing Ukrainian Selfreliance Federal Credit Union, invited the delegates to schedule their 2017 spring conference and annual meeting in Washington on the occasion of the credit union’s 65th anniversary celebration next year.