The following statement was released by the Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) on February 24.
Russia declared an open and unprovoked war against Ukraine, launching a full-scale multi-pronged invasion in the early hours of February 24. The Russian Armed Forces are shelling peaceful cities, bringing death and terror to Ukraine and to the whole European continent in an attempt to subjugate Ukraine to Moscow’s imperial rule and deprive Ukraine of its sovereignty.
The Ukrainian World Congress calls on the international community to stop the Kremlin’s premeditated atrocious war against Ukraine, against Europe and against the international rules-based order. We urge all peace-loving nations to act with unity and resolve now and support the Ukrainian peoples’ right to statehood and independence.
Specifically, the UWC urges allies to [take the following actions]:
1. Immediately enact full sanctions on Russia, including [their]removal from SWIFT
2. Immediately provide weapons and military equipment for Ukraine
3. Censure Russia from all international organizations, including the UN, the Council of Europe and the OSCE
4. Ban Russian ships from Western ports
5. Provide financial and humanitarian assistance to Ukraine
“Ukraine’s Armed Forces and the people of Ukraine are courageously fighting [a]Russian invasion. Ukrainians will resist and the world must stand with Ukraine against the aggressor. Glory to Ukraine. Glory to Her Heroes,” Paul Grod, the UWC president, said.
Слава Україні! Героям Слава!
Call to action: The UWC urges all Ukrainians and friends of Ukraine to take the following steps:
• Immediately write to your respective governments and elected officials calling on them to help stop Russia’s war against Ukraine and support Kyiv
• Host public rallies immediately in support of Ukraine
• Share the truth about Russia’s war against Ukraine with local media
• Boycott all Russian goods and services